The Project is located approximately 25 km south-east of the township of Gunnedah and to the immediate west of the village of Breeza. The Project is approximately 282 km by rail from the Port of Newcastle.
The Project (as shown in Map - Regional Locality) generally comprises:
• The construction and operation of an open cut coal mining operation extracting up to 10
Million tonnes per annum (Mtpa) of Run of Mine (ROM) coal for a 30 year period;
• The utilisation of an open cut mining fleet of excavators and rope shovels, supported by
haul trucks, dozers, graders, blast hole drills and water carts;
• Progressive rehabilitation of all disturbed areas;
• The construction and operation of:
o Coal Handling and Preparation Plant to process the raw coal;
o Administration building, workshop and related facilities;
o Train loadout, rail spur and loop to connect to the rail line to Newcastle;
o Mine Access Road off the Kamilaroi Highway including an overpass of the
o Water management and reticulation infrastructure; and
o Communications and electricity infrastructure.
• A workforce of up to 600 full-time equivalent employees during construction and an average
of 425 full-time equivalent employees during the operation of the Project.
The approvals process under Division 4.1 of Part 4 of the EP&A Act requires that a detailed EIS be prepared to support the Development Consent Application. This work has been completed by environmental consultants Hansen Bailey and a team of technical specialists and involved the assessment of the Project from a range of environmental, economic and social aspects.